Thursday, July 21, 2011

Old School...

With all the new bells and whistles of social media, we sometimes get lost and forget that human touch in marketing is still valuable. Some of you maybe remember this device...a pen. Yes, I still use one and often to write thank you notes to my clients. I know, that may be a foreign concept in a day and age with tweets, +1's, likes, dislikes, video chats....but you know, there is something still magically about a handwritten note that appears on a client's desk. It shows that I took the time and effort to craft a message that wasn't just a canned "thank you for your business" or appearing on a cold, lifeless screen sent through the interwebs. It's personal, because business is personal on many levels, we are all human and there is a connection we make in any business deal. We should respect the engagements we make to each other and never take it for granted. Be grateful for the connections we make and ensure that we give proper respect. Now, that's not to say we cannot use the new technology to connect and engage our clients or colleagues in a personal way, but there is nothing like getting back to the old school basics when it comes to showing gratitude. It's important to use this method in all facets of business interaction as much as we can. Video chats are terrific ways to connect between long distances and for quick flow of business, but really to gauge the pulse of your client, you need the one on one time to truly understand the relationship.

Think about that the next time you go to your iPhone or mobile device to send a text....what would you rather receive?

3 comments:

  1. You're definitely preaching to the choir here as far as going old school. Personally, I can't go more than a couple of days without hand writing something - I've started advocating to my client to hand write letters to his best customers because it will go further. It's SO good to see that I'm not alone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent, EJ. Nope, not alone. It's so good to see that you inspire others to take this route. It's so important to remember that personal touches like notes and letters mean a lot to folks. It also keeps you unique to clients that they know the relationship is special to you and you go the extra mile. It has a lot of benefits beyond just the old school mantra. As long as the effort is sincere, it gives the client the feeling that they are getting personal service. We all want that I think in our business relationships, to know that we are special. Great work, EJ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen, I don't know how or why I haven't been here before: my sincere apologies. You can be sure that I'll be in this neighbourhood now, on a regular basis.

    As EJ said, you are definitely preaching to the choir on the use of a pen and handwritten notes. I love to go to card shops and pick out cards I love, and save them for those special times and people when they best suit.

    I agree: there is indeed something magical about a handwritten note...at least in my books. Cheers! Kaarina

    I love to write longhand, and have many journals that I fill with handwritten quotes, poems, stories and doodles. But best of all, I still love to send a handwritten letter or note of appreciation. I love to see beautiful handwriting. I have a friend who was schooled in England and has the most exquisite handwriting I've ever seen: it's almost like artwork.

    ReplyDelete